Detox soups are a great way to combat the boredom of a juice cleanse. With no compromises on flavour it is a way to maximise your vitamin & mineral intake. I always drink a detox soup when embarking on a cleanse, or drink cups of it the night before a big event. A warming meal before bed can support sleep as it is extremely easy on the digestive system. This is a recipe I picked up in Turkey and it’s really more of a broth. It is both nutrient dense and alkaline, taking less than 20 minutes to prepare and boil. I suggest making it in a soup cooker and letting it brew all day, allowing you to take a cup whenever you feel hunger.
- 1 celery stalk and its greens (can add more if you like)
- 1 large carrot (unpeeled and sliced into 2 pieces)
- 1 cabbage (of any variety loosely chopped)
- 2 or more whole garlic gloves
- 1 unpeeled potato (of any variety: I prefer sweet)
- 1 scallion
- A bunch kale
- 1 scallion
- 1 handful fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1 whole onion (unchopped)
- A bunch of lettuce and arugula roots
- Fresh or dried oregano
- a pinch of himalayan salt (no other variety recommended)
- Fresh or dried rosemary
- 10 cups of alkaline water (filtered water is acceptable too)
- Chilli Pepper
- Fresh ginger (finely sliced)
- 1-2 lemongrass sticks
- Leave most of the vegetables in their natural state, unpeeled. Only slice the cabbage, carrot and ginger.
- Place all the ingredients into a pot or soup cooker with the water and bring them to boil.
- Leave to simmer for at least 17 minutes before serving. n.b. Can be left to simmer all day.
- Blend lemon, garlic, mint, cumin, thyme, sumak, tumeric and pepper flakes.
- Stir into your individual cup.
Can be stored in the fridge for up to a week or frozen for 3 months
Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Paleo, Alkaline, Vegan, Nut Free, Low Calorie