Tags

, , , , , , , , ,

Nothing quite like a coconut to make you feel like you are in a tropical paradise and it appears it appears the UK agrees. The Times reported last week that coconut water is the UK’s fastest growing drink with sales up 11% from 2014 and 25 million litres set to be consumed this year. The coconut, or cocos nucifera, is a seed derived from the coconut palm. The coconut palm is itself a prehistoric plant closely related to grass. Due to this relation, coconut palms are highly salt-tolerant and thus their ability to grow on the oceon shores. Any plant derived from the grass family has a wonderful ability to absorb minerals that we humans need in our daily diets. The origins of the coconut palm is thought to be the Philippines; a country with the highest density and production of coconut palm trees in the world. Growing up in the Philippines may have had an effect on my tastes, as I always find myself including this versatile superfood in my daily life. Be it within my nutrition, or as a part of my beauty regime, the coconut seed and its oil is one of the greatest natural resources at our disposal. The coconut itself is a natural filtration system, albeit not the fastest. It takes 9 months to purify the litre of water in each shell, the process of which sees it rise through many fibres to produces one of the highest sources of electrolytes; making an excellent sports drink. The coconut is nearly identical to human blood plasma and in World War II it was used for emergency plasma transfusions for soldiers. 55% of our blood is made up of plasma, the other 45% being haemoglobin. Haemoglobin is transformed plant blood (or chlorophyll) in essence. To experience natures own blood transfusion simply make a drink  of 55% coconut water and 45% green juice!

Benefits of Coconuts:a14406c6b13414209d78cec25f971ce2

  • 90% + saturated fat: Integral for the bodies cellular building blocks. This sat fat is not like animal fats, rather the ones found in coconuts are MCFA, medium chain fatty acids.
  • MCFAs support the thyroid gland meaning they increase metabolism and aid in weight-loss.
  • MCFAs regulate and promote healthy hormone production,
  • Not a scary fat! Coconut is not stored in the body as fat, it needs to be burned up on the spot and so boosts your fat burning potential.
  • Support the formation of HDL, high density lipoprotein. This is a form of healthy cholesterol and key for hormone production. HDL has no link to heart disease.

To reiterate a point on saturated fats, the types we find in animal products are the ones we should be careful of. Cooked animal products and dairy are a breeding ground for calcium forming organisms. When the body has too much calcium production we end up with coronary risks due to calcification. Calcification is the accumulation of calcium salts in a body tissue. It normally occurs in the formation of bone, but calcium can be deposited abnormally in soft tissue, causing it to harden. This is what we see with capillary blockages and cardiovascular disease. Another argument for cooking with coconut oil is that its most abundant fatty acid is the 12-carbon Lauric Acid, which is broken down into monolaurin; these kill microbes like bacteria, fungi and viruses.

USES:

  • Cooking: Does not form dangerous trans-fatty acids when cooking, also can sustain high heat temperatures.
  • Makeup Remover: The oils bind to makeup creating the ultimate cleanser
  • Nutrition
  • Teeth Pulling: This is an Ayurvedic practice proven to remove bacteria and neutralise oral pH. Place 1 teaspoon in mouth and swirl for 3 minutes, then spit.

With thanks to The Times,  Pinterest and David Wolfe.